Thursday, November 12, 2009

La vida es una caja


Today I did an oral presentation in my spanish class about immigrants in the United States. I´m sure many of you know it is a controversial issue and there are a lot of mixed sentiments towards immigrants. After my presentation we discussed our opinions on the issue and talked about why we think there is still so much discrimination throughout the world. Hannah and our professor, Toni, brought up an interesting concept that I think puts discrimination into a perspective that can be understood by all. We all live in boxes: our ideas, our beliefs, our homes, our transportation, etc. Everything is made into a box and we choose to stay within that box. It is like a comfort zone that we refuse to leave or look outside of. Ideas are passed down from generation to generation and with that discrimination continues, as does the box. Below is a poem Toni read to us. It is in spanish and my translating skills aren´t exactly the best so I´m just going to post it as is and let you do with it what you will. Hope you enjoy.
Cuadrados y ángulos
Casas enfiladas, casas enfiladas, casas enfiladas.
cuadrados, cuadrados, cuadrados.
casas enfiladas.
Las gentes ya tienen el alma cuadrada,
ideas en fila
y ángulo en la espalda
Yo misma he vertido ayer una lágrima,
Dios mio, cuadrada
-Alfonsina Storni

No comments:

Post a Comment